Sunday, July 20, 2008

A New Home in Cobble Hill (!!!!!)

Alright, people. It's official. I am now a resident of Brooklyn.

My last post about housing was not a very happy one. The first apartment my roommate and I found was in Clinton Hill, and was lovely--but we discovered that the landlord was being indicted for Medicaid fraud, and decided to pull out of the lease. (Thankfully, there were no financial repercussions on this front, except that Corcoran has yet to give us our broker's fee back. Let that be a lesson to anyone who reads this to stay the hell away from Corcoran.) Needless to say, this was a complete debacle, immensely stressful, and it crossed my mind that perhaps this was was God's way of telling me: Go back to Seattle, wench. You no longer have what it takes to make it in cities with populations greater than five million.


So, we were back to Square One in our search. Thankfully, we managed to snag a beautiful apartment in Cobble Hill for about the same price, with a July 1st lease, after just one more day of real estate trekking. Move-in happened last Saturday, and voila! Home. I'd forgotten what it feels like to have a place to return to every night that is filled with my favorite things. Call me a homebody or sentimental or whatever, but the psychological toll of living out of a suitcase for nearly four months was quite significant. Or maybe it's the notion of living out of a suitcase
and only a suitcase, that really kicked my ass, since this wasn't such a monstrous issue during my travelin' days at McKinsey. Either way, I'm thrilled with the new place (what up, central air!); crushing hard on the new neighborhood (mmm cute little brunch places); falling head-over-heels for Brooklyn (Brooklyn Brewery & BAM: 'nough said); and can't wait to invite people over (no guarantees on the quality of food served). There is also a backyard, which I am told must be leveraged for much bbq-ness, as some of our neighbors are doing even as I type type away...

Pics of the place are on Facebook, for those not in NY and unable to come take a look in person.

1 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

yay another NYC person! I'm still in DC, but I still get excited that there might be people to hang out with when I go back to NYC (basically only for 2 day 1 night excursions to karaoke). =P

oh and hi of course! :-) your blog has now been added to my google reader, and thus I will be stalking you with every update...Google Reader has made me 1000% more productive at wasting time at work. trying to prove to people that that is a good thing.

July 28, 2008 1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home