Saturday, September 09, 2006

Failure

I failed my driver's test today. Upon inching out of the DOL's parking lot, I looked left and right, was about to take a left turn when a big black SUV on the right drove past, honking its horn to keep me from continuing on. I know, it's astonishing. I failed within one minute of starting the car. My Driving Test Score Sheet, filled out by a woman named Marian, reads:
Pulled out in front of car, requiring driver to "honk" and apply their breaks.

Yes, that is exactly how it reads. And yes, it does make me feel better.

Of course, the fact that the administrator of my driving test can't spell or punctuate doesn't fully remove the sting of failure. I dread the coming week of having to explain to everyone in my life how I failed on a test that nearly every other American passes without any problem. But as May, my driving instructor, told me after the test: "If you're going to fail any test in your life, it might as well be this one." I'll try and take her words to heart and cheer up a little.

My next test is on September 20th. Wish me luck--I really do need it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marcos Mateu said...

Well, good luck then.
Good news is... It sounds like it's the first and last time this ever happens to you!
Sure you are going to do fine (and thanks for visiting our blog!)
-Marcos.

September 12, 2006 1:27 AM  
Blogger Sage said...

I would have failed, buy my inspector guy was nice. I had a 68, but he bumped me to the necessary 70.

He told me to turn left on a famous-for-being-used-in-driver's-tests-road that's a five-way intersection. He said, "turn left here" and pointed vaguely. I asked for speedy clarification, but none was forthcoming. I couldn't figure out where to turn, so I did the most reasonable thing to do. I slammed on the brakes in the middle of the intersection and yelled at him with barred teeth, "WHERE?"

Maybe he was too scared to fail me.

September 12, 2006 6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home