Sunday, June 11, 2006

Suicides at Guantanamo = Acts of War

You've probably read that three prisoners in Guatanamo committed suicide recently. A diary entry over at DailyKos discussed it and the many previous suicide attempts in detail. From one detainee who attempted suicide twelve times:
There was no other alternative to make our voice heard by the world from the depths of the detention centers except this way in order for the world to re-examine its standing and for the fair people of America to look again at the situation and try to have a moment of truth with themselves... why was no conclusion reached with regard to the detainees in Guantanamo, Cuba until now?
Till when this tragedy will continue? When will it end after all these years, and when will the detainees go back to their homelands, families, wives and children? When will this tragedy cease to continue... till when? The detainees are suffering from the bitterness of despair, the detention humiliation and the vanquish of slavery and suppression...
[...]
When you remember me in my last gasps of life before dying, while my soul is leaving my body to rise to its creator, remember that the world let us and let our case down... Remember that our governments let us down... Remember the unreasonable delay of the courts in looking into our case and to side with the victims of injustice... Remember that if there were people who are actually fair and who defend justice and defend the victims of injustice and if there are judges who are fair, I wouldn't have been wrapped in death shrouds now and my family -my father, my mother, my brothers and sisters, and my little daughter - would not have to lose their son... forever... but what else can I do?
But I shouldn't be feeling any emotions for these terrorists. After all, they didn't kill themselves out of desperation but because:
They are smart. They are creative, they are committed. They have no regard for life, either ours or their own. I believe this was not an act of desperation, but an act of asymmetrical warfare waged against us.
The camp commander down in Cuba would know best about these evil, despicable men's motivations. These suicides were an act of war against America. Not a final plea, called out from the dark depths of utter and complete despair, for "the fair people of America" to pay attention to the hell on earth that has been created in their name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home