Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Back Pain Chronicles II

I feel vindicated. I was catching up on one of my favorite bloggers over at Opinionistas and she has back problems too!!! If someone as famous in the blogosphere as she can face such problems, then surely it can't be so bad that a mere mortal such as I had a very similar experience. Damn you, knowledge worker economy!

The update on my back is: much better! The contrast to mid-December is like night and day. Certainly not 100% cured, but I will be heading back to full-time client work in the next 1-2 weeks and will keep up the Pilates-esque excercises my lovely physical therapists have taught me and stretch every day. (Piece of back trivia: Did you know more than 40% of back pain is caused by tightness of the hamstring muscles?) I am amazed by how much progress one can make in physical endurance and strength if one pays attention. Excercises I couldn't even do four weeks ago have now been conquered--as in, I was literally falling off the yoga ball before because the muscles in my core were so weak, and now I can do five reps. (I know what you're thinking: Five reps, Em? That's it? But truly, this specific one is tough. Next time you happen upon a yoga ball, try getting in a push-up position with your feet on the ball, hands on the floor, and see how many sets of five push-ups you can do. Not so many, eh, tough guy?)

On that note, I think it's time for me to get away from this laptop and stretch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home