Tuesday, June 20, 2006

i <3 tennis

I love tennis. But you know that saying about how if you love someone but things aren't working out, you have to let them go and they'll come back if it's meant to be? Well, tennis and I have been on a "break" for the past four years. It wasn't just that the tennis courts at Yale were inconvenietly located and I didn't have a hitting partner. By the end of high school, I was quite simply burned out. I started playing in elementary school for fun, but the fun became playing everyday in middle school, and then in high school I was on ASIJ's team in addition to playing constantly over the summer. So in eight very short years, I played a shitton of tennis. Unfortunately, by the end of it I felt like I'd never want to play again. I had OD-ed on a ball sport, if such a thing is possible.

But perhaps it was something about graduation that rekindled the old flame, I am in love with tennis again. I wish I could play every day. This week I'm playing three times, twice with Reina and once with my dad. I got two horrible blisters on my hands last week, and my toes are bruised, but it doesn't matter. I just want to play. Even if my backhand and serve aren't back yet. Even if my back is sore the next day, and it's frustrating to know I was so much better before. Who cares? What matters is I'm happy on the court again, and that emotion is something I hadn't dared to hope would ever come back.
...
Babe, if you're reading this, don't worry. I won't leave you for tennis ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home